A note on the etiology of the Protel Octagonal pad mess:

The original Gerber specification for octagonal pads was somewhat ambiguous. It appears that the Protel programmers didn't realize the ambiguity and nail it down, an easy mistake to make. Anyway, when the specification was rewritten to remove the ambiguity, it was not the way Protel had interpreted it.

The ambiguity was the definition of zero rotation for a polygon: Is it point up or flat up? As I recall, I'm not looking at the spec, zero rotation is defined point up (or down, I don't recall). The result is that Protel octagons are 22.5 degrees off. The Gerber specification is counter-intuitive for anyone accustomed to working with pads!