Hi All

Has anyone used the process PCB_SS:Import, it seems like you should be
able to export to a spreadsheet, edit there and import it back, but I
can't get working.

The reason I am interested is that that I would like to do do the
following:

Use a layer say Mechanical layer 4, where an outline and a designator
for each component could be placed.
The outline would be different from the Top Overlayer (silk screen)
e.g.. a box around 0805 resistors and placed in the library with the
components.
My problem is to get the designators to be independent of the components
and placed on Mechanical Layer 4.
I would like to present documentation where I have a silk screen layer
and a component placement layer independent of each other.
Since PCBs are getting smaller and smaller I have no room silk screen
around 0805, 0603, ... and no room for designators on SMT parts, but
people like to have designators on connectors.
What I do now is making a class for the connectors so I can select them
and then switch the designators on and off on the SMT parts, when I make
Gerber.

best regards

Soren Andersen