Having solved this, this is what I did and do.  From Protel 98 onwards.

I make sure the BMP object in the template has the full path to the file on
disk and make sure the file is always in the same place.

i.e.  C:\images\logo.bmp

It has worked and continues to work.  The limitation being of you open the
schematic on multiple machines the bmp has to be in "C:\Images\logo.bmp" on
those machines also.

Chris.