From: Ian Wilson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 9:55 AM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] OT: Mentor PADS comparison

On 11:22 PM 19/05/2004, Protel Hell said:
>the perfect CAD does not exist, for one thing, for it to be perfect would
>require zero bugs and cost would be free, while DXP comes closer than most
>to the latter, it is also a leader in the former
>
>does anybody have a worse autorouter than Protel? or is not OK to mention
>that either?

I actually have no problem with people complaining about Protel.  I would
prefer it was not anonymously as this is sometimes used as a mask to make
people braver than otherwise.  People generally tend to be more careful and
considered in their comments when they can be identified.  I also really
like it be factual and to be constructive.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to point out where the program falls
short of competitors.  The autorouter is a good example - it is being
improved and some people are getting useful results, but I would be
surprised if it was as good as the competitors and it is still quite
slow.  I suspect my standard test board is just too hard - I will retry the
P2004 version of the autorouter on something a little less challenging to
see how it goes at some stage.  My Electra trial ran out (again!) before I
could run this board through it.  (I may send it on to Pat Nystrom to see
if he will run it through and send back the results - will you do that for
me Pat?)

Ian