--- Mira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Autorouted boards in general have more holes, use more
> layers and this affects the price.

It's been a long time (10yr) since more holes really affected the price
(within extremes of course). I'd suggest that if an autorouted board
took up more layers than a handrouted version, it wasn't done
correctly.
(i.e. I respectfully differ in opinion.)

> If your boss cares about saving some money from shorting the time for
> finishing the job and doesn't care about the PCB cost,
> then you must be working for a design bureau.
> You design the board once but it will be manufactured
> many times.

I used to design a lot for long runs. Now much of my work is short
order, as in I often only get only one panel's worth built. An
autorouter is still a great investment. Saving a day or more of my time
with an AR is worth it.

=====
Dom Bragge CID
Snr PCB Designer