> It's been a long time (10yr) since more holes really
> affected the price
> (within extremes of course). I'd suggest that if an
> autorouted board
> took up more layers than a handrouted version, it
> wasn't done
> correctly.
> (i.e. I respectfully differ in opinion.)

Yes, I agree that nowadays having 200 holes more is
not a big deal IF the via hole is more than 0,4mm.
IF the via hole is smaller, then the price goes up.

Yes, if the layers are more than needed, it's not
quite good but you never know until you do it
manually.

My point was that autorouters place traces
horizontally on one layer and vertically on the other
layer. Thus for you have many vias, which need more
room. To place all traces with certain clearance and
trace width, you'll need to increase the layers or
reduce the via size. Both lead to more expensive bare
PCB.

If you autoroute a PCB and then go and fix some of the
traces manually, you can eliminate some of the layers
but it will take you more time.

So, as PH said "All is relative".

Mira