i was going to write this too
layer count of course effects cost

hole count has not been part of the cost matrix for sometime
unless you are making perf boards or something

i like a board to look nice as much as the next person
but there's just not time anymore (there used to be more!)

and product cycles and rev spins are so frequent that
a lot of craft oriented efforts turn out to be just wasted time
i know because i've done it too often

of course the lines between functional issues and cosmetic issues
are often blurry so the human router will still be around for a while

and Ian
i like PICs !
lots of mips for the buck and more and more on board stuff
everyday

Dennis Saputelli

Dom Bragge wrote:

>  --- Mira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Autorouted boards in general have more holes, use more
> > layers and this affects the price.
>
> It's been a long time (10yr) since more holes really affected the price
> (within extremes of course). I'd suggest that if an autorouted board
> took up more layers than a handrouted version, it wasn't done
> correctly.
> (i.e. I respectfully differ in opinion.)
>
> > If your boss cares about saving some money from shorting the time for
> > finishing the job and doesn't care about the PCB cost,
> > then you must be working for a design bureau.
> > You design the board once but it will be manufactured
> > many times.
>
> I used to design a lot for long runs. Now much of my work is short
> order, as in I often only get only one panel's worth built. An
> autorouter is still a great investment. Saving a day or more of my time
> with an AR is worth it.
>
> =====
> Dom Bragge CID
> Snr PCB Designer
> Sydney, Australia
>  ( 99SE sp6 )

> http://au.movies.yahoo.com

Integrated Controls, Inc.           Tel: 415-647-0480  EXT 107
2851 21st Street                    Fax: 415-647-3003
San Francisco, CA 94110             www.integratedcontrolsinc.com