Alex, javascript has its own garbage collector, sure... but firstly, it's
not a consistent implementation across browsers. This is an ancient problem
as far as Ajax development goes. Secondly, the apps I develop (and more
people are starting to get into) are highly complex, long running single
page apps (major applications running in a browser, not "enhanced"
websites), with widgets coming in and out of existence as the user interacts
and moves through the flow of the app. The dispose methods handle 1)
removing dom event handlers from dom elements before they are removed from
the dom, therefore removing that as a memory leak path (which is a very well
documented path, look it up), 2) destroying children widgets it may have
created during its lifetime, unregistering things like Draggables,
Sortables, etc... 3) any other actions required during the dispose cycle,
like persisting or hydrating state in cases where it's important.

Your trying to tell someone that's been doing Ajax development for 3+ years
that he doesn't know what he's talking about... simma down, nah!

--
Ryan Gahl
Manager, Senior Software Engineer