James. I would suggest running a different listener on the 'li.clickinc'
elements ... try something like this ..

Event.observe(window,'load',function() {
    $$('li.clickinc').invoke('observe','click',function(e) {

         $('dmain').update('Updated text after clicking on '+this.id);

Put it in the browser head of the page you want to watch ....

Then call your PeriodicalUpdater without onSuccess just as normal and see
what happens then ....

If you need evalJson and header evaluation in a periodical updater then try
somehting like this ...

var interval=setInterval(function() {
var req=new Ajax.Updater ..........

req=null;
},300000); // this is 5 minutes or 300 seconds as its milliseconds for
setInterval and the request object is nulled retrieving the bandwidth ..

if you need to unload it you can do clearInterval(interval); and it will
remove it from the DOM

Hope this helps .. please let me know how you got on

Regards

Alex