Hi Tom,

Okay, I thought you wanted to trace out a path through space for the
camera. But for your purpose, it doesn't matter how the things are
defined internally. That's just a matter of representation, which can
be interconverted.

What you really want is to place the center of your active site at the
position of the camera (which has the same effect of doing it the
other way around :p). I'm not sure whether there's a shortcut to it.
But you can do it manually. First center the scene on your active
site, and then move the scene to set the offset from the camera to
zero:

center my_active_site_selection
cmd.move('z',-cmd.get_view()[11])

Hope it helps... and sorry for the confusion :)

Cheers,

Tsjerk

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 1:28 AM, Tom Dupree
<t.dup...@student.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> Thank you everyone for giving me your time,
>
> I think I failed to explain what I am trying to do correctly/clearly...or I
> simply do not understand your answers, either is possible :)
>
> What I really want is to be able to explore binding sites from inside the
> binding site.
>
> Take a room with a couch and a lamp in it, pymol allows me to look at the
> room from the outside from a wide range of perspectives and angles looking in
> at the room, it also allows me with clipping planes to remove (from view)
> walls so that I can see the contents of the room. I want to be able to walk
> into the room and turn around in the room looking out (and to move around in
> that room).
>
> As far as I understand it I can use the scene commands to switch from one
> preset view to another which is good, but my problem is I want free movement
> like you have when you turn/rotate your views.
>
> A better description is a to load up the molecule and then use a no-clipping
> mode of a first person computer game to move through and around it.
>
> My problem is that pymol (seems) to always have a fixed point that the camera
> is looking at (wrt turning). It is this property that I am trying to get away
> from/change. Is there a way to turn the look at vector x degrees horizontal
> and y degrees vertical?
>
> Tom

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.

post-doctoral researcher
Molecular Dynamics Group
Groningen Institute for Biomolecular Research and Biotechnology
University of Groningen
The Netherlands