On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 12:43:18 +0100
Rhodri James <rho...@kynesim.co.uk> wrote:
> On 29/06/2020 11:31, Steve Holden wrote:
> > If I am being oversensitive it is perhaps because I have trodden in these
> > waters before, and have frequently been surprised by what other people find
> > distasteful or offensive. I do not necessarily require my opinions to be
> > thought reasonable, even by other reasonable people.
>
> I don't think you are being insensitive, I too found that commit message
> offensive.  Personally I think equating standardised English --
> specifically Strunk and White -- with racist supremacy is itself a
> racist remark which should not have been made.

>From the outside, this does seem like a reasonable position.

Also, more generally, while I'm sure there are elaborate sociohistorical
arguments to be made about the influence of prejudice (for example
gendered or racist) on language, a Python commit message is not the
place to elaborate such a theory.  If this is important to you, perhaps
one direction is to propose your edits to the corresponding Wikipedia
page (which doesn't seem to list such criticism currently):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elements_of_Style

IMHO, the fact that the "Strunk & White standard" is not known by
everybody (it's certainly not by me) was enough of a reason to remove
that wording and replace it with a clearer phrasing.

Regards

Antoine.