Dear developers:

As a former translator of the Danish version of QGIS I have a few - very personal, perhaps a bit caustic - comments:

 * The transfer from using QT linqguist to Transifex was a mistake from
   my POW. Without the user interface context is sometimes impossible
   to translate correctly. My method (around ver. 2.12) was to use a
   simple editor like notepad++ on the raw xml translator files and get
   a significant part of the job done. And afterward using QT-Linguist
   to get the difficult translations. From that standpoint Transifex is
   simply a delaying factor.
 * The translation effort is very important. Even in Denmark , where
   the population generally is competent in English, the majority of
   "ordinary" users prefer using QGIS with the Danish translation. I
   assume, that the situation is the same or more pressing for most
   countries.
 * The translation is difficult and time consuming and you are not
   being compensated for your effort. Throw some money or prestige
   after it. Even a small token would help.
 * Treat the translation effort with respect. Don't ridicule people's
   earnest efforts. Think how you would react If you were a rookie
   developer and the first reaction from an old shark was ridicule of
   your programming efforts ?
 * Make the translation stage a significant step in the development cycle.
 * Create a group or list of highly technical GIS related terms that is
   *not* to be translated. There is a lot of GIS terms that is English
   in origin, but haven't a well defined local translation. (With some
   hilarious results if they are translated). Not all translators is
   well versed in every aspect of GIS.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Bo Victor Thomsen