> The only way I can get my Lexmark to work once it fouls up is to
reinstall
> the image file for that drive.
> Some printer drivers are NBG as
> 1    They are not stable
> 2    You cannot reinstal or delete them & instal them again without
the same
> problem to correct any mal function.
>
> When I checked my I think or the registry entries were deleted on
deltion of
> the printer but I did not know about inf files.
The Epson uninstall routine (via COntrol Panel-Add/Remove programs)
seems to be quite clean in that every time I try to reinstall it does
at least go through the motions of trying to find the printer.

I've tried to find and remove relevant registry entries and also in
desperation identified and removed .inf files. I'm not sure that's a
legal way of doing things, but it does seem to prevent the same old
problems  occurring at each reinstall with other hardware at least.

The modem is a cheap internal one, for example, with non-user-friendly
installation routines which are easy to foul up. Install the wrong
driver, it tells you it's working, but it isn't. Deinstall, reinstall,
it automatically installs the wrong driver again without giving you
the option to select driver. Find and remove the inf file for the
wrong driver (luckily meaningfully named!) it seems to force it to ask
where the driver is next time and it then installs correctly.

This printer and general reinstallation saga isn't all bad news. I've
run into so many problems and downloaded so many new drivers that at
least apart from the Epson stuff it's all up to date and Dilwyn has
learned a hell of a lot about taming Windoze. Shame I can't say the
same about Epson software (yet!)