In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dilwyn Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

No, it still don't work. At least the PC recognises somethingis
plugged into it - the 'new hardware detected' appears when I plug in
the printer, even though it's unknown device.

Looking at the troubleshooting info, the CD should install an 'Apson
parallel printer port' (it does indeed) and an 'Epson USB' (which it
doesn't). Yet the advice is: if the printer isn't automatically set to
USB, manually set the port to 'Epson USB' but that device is never
installed, so how can I???

This is gradually driving me up the wall.

In 'View devices by connection' is the USB port, or USB card listed ?

If it is look at its 'Properties', and go to 'Driver', then 'Update' from the supplied CD with the Printer.

Other options to try are :

Go to the Epsom web site, and seek their technical help.

Do a search on the web and see if there are any Freeware drivers available that will cover you hardware. Surprising are much is available.

Install it on another PC - where it will probably work straightaway :-).

Win98 can be very 'stubborn' with devices and conflicts, as plug and play is not perfect for all hardware circumstances.

Dilwyn Jones