>> OK, I give up. How do you get Windows XP to format a new second
>> hard
>> disk?
>
> I suspect that you need to partition the drive before Windows can
> use it. I beleieve that fdisk (fdisc maybe) is your 'friend'.
>
> Try fdisk d: in a command line and see what transpires.
I'd been along this line and managed to format an old 40MB drive (plus
a drive belonging to someone at work), but all told I'm glad in a way
I now know it was a faulty drive - it worked well enough to identify
itself, but fdisk and format didn't want to know. The fact it was
getting so hot and making an awful racket when the PC case was open
convinced me to send it back - when I put it back into its packaging I
noticed a bump hole in the box, maybe someone played football with it
en route to me. No doubt this subject will rear its head again when
the replacement arrives, although yesterday shoulkd be fresh in my
memory to tackle it when it arrives!

Newcomers on this list - take note! We're all here to help each other,
you've seen how ready to help people have been with my problem, so
don't be afraid to ask something if the need arises!