Dilwyn Jones wrote:
> OK, I give up. How do you get Windows XP to format a new second hard
> disk?

> I uninstalled the old drive D:\, switched off, restarted, the New
> Hardware Wizard found the new drive and it's now listed as drive D:\
> in Device Manager.

> Now, how do I format it? It doesn't appear in My Computer etc. -
> normally you can right click on a drive name and get the context menu
> to offer a format command.

> It's almost as if it's not recognised because it's not formatted, but
> of course that gives a catch 22 of not being able to format a new hard
> disk because
> it's not already formatted, so I guess I'm missing some simple course
> of action here???

> Also tried from DOS command line, FORMAT D: just gives "drive not
> recognised" error

> F***ing Windoze! (That stood for Flaming, by the way, in case anyone
> thought otherwise!)

> This new 250GB drive is to be the home for all my QL stuff, a full
> backup of drive C:\  and my music (that way Windoze can do what it
> likes with the C:\ drive.)

didnt see anyone ask this,  have you checked in the BIOS setup if the
computer is seeing the new HD and is reporting its correct size??

On some PC's you need to get into the BIOS First, let it determine that
there is a HD present, then save settings
THEN Fdisk and most any other utility way of messing with the drive
should work.

MOST newly bought retail packeages HD's should be recognizable by
winderze ONCE its allowed to see the drive I recall

--
Paul Holmgren
2 57 300-C's in Indy