> >>Try fdisk d: in a command line and see what transpires.
>
> I wouldn't expect that (fdisk d:) to work as d: wouldn't exist.
> IIRC when
> you run fdisk on a PC under [some form of] DOS, you select the drive
> number
> you wish to partition from a prompt [somewhere].
Although there's a Command Prompt equating to some form of DOS box,
fdisk is not recognised there.

There is some form of equivalent somewhere in the Windows XP CD
startup (I forget exactly where).

But after all the trauma, I wish I'd known about the 'Manage' window
before, it makes life so easy.

BTW, I just ran a Defrag on my C: drive, the difference it's made is
amazing. Makes me wonder how I put up with the sluggishness recently -
it's months since I last defragmented the hard disk.

Which has made me think - do QL hard disks (QXL.WIN or QUBIDE) ever
need defragmenting? If so, how do we do it? (Never thought about
that!)