>>But after all the trauma, I wish I'd known about the 'Manage' window
>>before, it makes life so easy.
>
> It has always been there ... :-) ... although now hidden from casual
> use.
What comes of having such a simple life on a QL I suppose. Want to
format something? Just enter a FORMAT command :-(

>>BTW, I just ran a Defrag on my C: drive, the difference it's made is
>>amazing. Makes me wonder how I put up with the sluggishness
>>recently -
>>it's months since I last defragmented the hard disk.
>
> You can check with a graphical view of the hard drive as to whether
> it
> needs a Defrag - use the Analyse option.
>
> Every time I use it I get the reassuring answer that the hard drive
> does
> not need a Defrag.
>
> So, what have you been doing to in recent months ... deleting or
> moving
> a lot of files around ... ?
Yes. I'm normally conscientious about things like Defrag and backups,
but it's months since I last remember defragmenting.

>>Which has made me think - do QL hard disks (QXL.WIN or QUBIDE) ever
>>need defragmenting? If so, how do we do it? (Never thought about
>>that!)
>
> As far as Windows is concerned it is just one large file, so it
> cannot
> itself be defragmented - which is what happens to the hard drive
> surface
> area having gaps between areas of occupied data and areas not
> occupied
> by data.
>
> The Defrag with DOS/Windows packs the data together, removing the
> fragments that got separated to be a whole continuous area of data.
I could see that happening as Defrag reported its process. It takes a
while to do it, but you can see how much better the layout is
afterwards. I have a 512MB QXL.WIN with my QPC2, and about 75% of that
is used, which is why I wondered about QL files within the QXL.WIN
becoming fragmented or not.

> Internally I don't know how the QXL.WIN holds its directions to
> information.  Yet it will not be affected by defragmenting.
>
> I guess someone can look all this up in the manuals .....
Be interesting to know the answer. But, I suppose, if fragmentation of
QL files is a problem in the long run, I guess someone would have
written about it by now.