In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dilwyn Jones
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

<Clip>

>But after all the trauma, I wish I'd known about the 'Manage' window
>before, it makes life so easy.

It has always been there ... :-) ... although now hidden from casual
use.

>BTW, I just ran a Defrag on my C: drive, the difference it's made is
>amazing. Makes me wonder how I put up with the sluggishness recently -
>it's months since I last defragmented the hard disk.

You can check with a graphical view of the hard drive as to whether it
needs a Defrag - use the Analyse option.

Every time I use it I get the reassuring answer that the hard drive does
not need a Defrag.

So, what have you been doing to in recent months ... deleting or moving
a lot of files around ... ?

>Which has made me think - do QL hard disks (QXL.WIN or QUBIDE) ever
>need defragmenting? If so, how do we do it? (Never thought about
>that!)

As far as Windows is concerned it is just one large file, so it cannot
itself be defragmented - which is what happens to the hard drive surface
area having gaps between areas of occupied data and areas not occupied
by data.

The Defrag with DOS/Windows packs the data together, removing the
fragments that got separated to be a whole continuous area of data.

Internally I don't know how the QXL.WIN holds its directions to
information.  Yet it will not be affected by defragmenting.

I guess someone can look all this up in the manuals .....

--
Malcolm Cadman