He really was one of the good guys.

Honest

Who cares about contracts - Stuart's word was his bond.

Intellectually adventurous

He dreamt up things that seemed to be beyond the limits of the state of the art of fabrication technology - but they worked.

Meticulous

Behind his appearance and demeanour hid a thorough grasp of engineering detail. What would the QL have been like if he had been in charge of the design?

Carefree

The USA on a folding bike? My last memory of him (too long ago) was him climbing up a rickety ancient cherry tree to get the cherries I could not reach.

Generous

He shared the cherries!