Peter Graf wrote:

> Bill wrote:
>
> >Presently I run a Q40 and a PC sharing a Sony monitor and epson printer
> >, no switchboxs required, the monitor has two inputs and its own switch
> >for selection, the printer runs on USB from the PC and Parallel from the
> >Q40
>
> Very good idea.
>
> >only one proviso the printer must be off when you switch on the Q40
> >else the Q40 will not boot properly ( why?)
>
> I don't know the IO card Qbranch delivers with the Q40. I remember there
> were printer IRQ problems with the card and SMSQ/E. So maybe you should
> check if the PAR IRQ jumper is removed. If not, remove it.

Well now, I recall when I installed the i/o card there was a problem  (
turned out to be not connecting to motherboard) and I checked all the
jumpers, are there not about forty of them?
but sometime when I feel a bit sadistic I'll check the par irq one.

> Another test would be to boot QDOS instead of SMSQ.

 IIRC it crashes before it gets to loading the os

> All the best
>
> Peter

Thanks though, I'll look into it a bit further ( god knows when though)

all the best - Bill