On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Tom Collins wrote:

> You can set a domain quota to limit the total mail for the domain.  The
> site's postmaster would then be responsible for limiting their users as
> they see fit.

How is this supposed to work?  From what I can gather, the "old"(??)
domain quota actually tried to make a real domain-wide quota where if the
total was set to 100MB, all users combined could go up to that limit.  I
don't really care for that, imagine the confusion when one user bumps the
quota and every user's mail starts bouncing and getting over-quota
warnings.

Is that how it works?  I'd much prefer a scheme where I sell, say 100MB in
a domain and let the postmaster divvy up the quotas on a per-user basis.
Let me know if that's on the roadmap, if it's not, I may be able to
sweeten the pot.

In 1.0.29, I see that letting the postmaster modify quotas enforces
nothing; even if the domain has a default quota of 20MB, the postmaster
can go in and set any user to 1000MB if they want.

> Note, domain quotas in vpopmail might not be working properly in 5.4.0.
>   I don't use quotas myself, and haven't had time to try to figure out
> the problem.

I don't think domain quotas (as I perhaps misunderstand them) are a really
good idea; it seems like it would just lead to confusion all around for
the users and for support departments.  What happens right now in the
-stable releases if domain quotas are enabled anyhow?

Thanks,

Charles