On Feb 3, 2004, at 8:20 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Tom Collins wrote:
You can set a domain quota to limit the total mail for the domain. The
site's postmaster would then be responsible for limiting their users as
they see fit.

How is this supposed to work? From what I can gather, the "old"(??)
domain quota actually tried to make a real domain-wide quota where if the
total was set to 100MB, all users combined could go up to that limit. I
don't really care for that, imagine the confusion when one user bumps the
quota and every user's mail starts bouncing and getting over-quota
warnings.

Is that how it works?

Yes.

I'd much prefer a scheme where I sell, say 100MB in
a domain and let the postmaster divvy up the quotas on a per-user basis.
Let me know if that's on the roadmap, if it's not, I may be able to
sweeten the pot.

It's not currently on the roadmap. I am open to sponsored development -- ACIS Pty Ltd in Australia recently sponsored me to add full MySQL valias support to vpopmail and qmailadmin. They're using the code, and it's going into the 5.4.1 and 1.2.1 releases.

In 1.0.29, I see that letting the postmaster modify quotas enforces
nothing; even if the domain has a default quota of 20MB, the postmaster
can go in and set any user to 1000MB if they want.

That's correct. If you had a domain quota of 100MB, then a user with a 1000MB quota would be able to max out the domain so no one could receive mail.

Note, domain quotas in vpopmail might not be working properly in 5.4.0.
I don't use quotas myself, and haven't had time to try to figure out
the problem.

I don't think domain quotas (as I perhaps misunderstand them) are a really
good idea; it seems like it would just lead to confusion all around for
the users and for support departments. What happens right now in the
-stable releases if domain quotas are enabled anyhow?

It's a good idea in that an ISP can limit a domain to a certain amount of usage, and leave it up to the customer to use it as they see fit.

Your idea of a quota for the domain that the sum of all user quotas can't exceed is another workable solution. I'm not sure which makes more sense, and if we decide to support both then there will need to be a clear way to choose between the two (and understand what will happen).

--
Tom Collins  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Info on the Sniffter handheld Network Tester: http://sniffter.com/