Charles Sprickman wrote:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Tom Collins wrote:

In 1.0.29, I see that letting the postmaster modify quotas enforces
nothing; even if the domain has a default quota of 20MB, the postmaster
can go in and set any user to 1000MB if they want.

That's correct. If you had a domain quota of 100MB, then a user with a 1000MB quota would be able to max out the domain so no one could receive mail.

[long description of the quota-theory ;-)]

Your idea of a quota for the domain that the sum of all user quotas
can't exceed is another workable solution.  I'm not sure which makes
more sense, and if we decide to support both then there will need to be
a clear way to choose between the two (and understand what will
happen).

I'd love it if we could open a discussion on this either here or on the
devel list.

I'm absolute with you in this issue, the way you described to handle the "domain quotas" is for me the only way to do it. Everything else causes only endless support mails from customers who don't know what's going on - and also one user could block all the other user accounts by exceeding the quota for the whole domain.
But still, these two things don't cancel each other out. There can be a domain wide quota be implemented and running, only it will never be exceeded because the user quotas are lower (or equal). It would be only a design option in qmailadmin and would require no changes in vpopmail (generally).
That scenario is happening also quite often for ISPs. You buy hostingspace and a domain and get e-mail accounts with it. Instead of limiting the number of e-mail accounts (like the most companies do it now) it would also be a possible and as I think quite interesting solution to sell the customer 200 MB mailspace which he can divide up in how many accounts he wants.

I haven't heard anything from current domain quota users. I'm also a bit curious about the system quota option (unix user per domain model), but I'm not really sure if the entire vpopmail suite understands system quotas, or if it really would solve any of the above problems.

Thanks,

Charles

Philipp