> On Feb 3, 2004, at 8:20 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Tom Collins wrote:
>>> You can set a domain quota to limit the total mail for the domain.
>>> The
>>> site's postmaster would then be responsible for limiting their users
>>> as
>>> they see fit.
>>
>> How is this supposed to work?  From what I can gather, the "old"(??)
>> domain quota actually tried to make a real domain-wide quota where if
>> the
>> total was set to 100MB, all users combined could go up to that limit.
>> don't really care for that, imagine the confusion when one user bumps
>> the
>> quota and every user's mail starts bouncing and getting over-quota
>> warnings.
>>
>> Is that how it works?
>
> Yes.
>
>>   I'd much prefer a scheme where I sell, say 100MB in
>> a domain and let the postmaster divvy up the quotas on a per-user
>> basis.
>> Let me know if that's on the roadmap, if it's not, I may be able to
>> sweeten the pot.
>
> It's not currently on the roadmap.  I am open to sponsored development
> -- ACIS Pty Ltd in Australia recently sponsored me to add full MySQL
> valias support to vpopmail and qmailadmin.  They're using the code, and
> it's going into the 5.4.1 and 1.2.1 releases.
>
>> In 1.0.29, I see that letting the postmaster modify quotas enforces
>> nothing; even if the domain has a default quota of 20MB, the postmaster
>> can go in and set any user to 1000MB if they want.
>
> That's correct.  If you had a domain quota of 100MB, then a user with a
> 1000MB quota would be able to max out the domain so no one could
> receive mail.
>
>>> Note, domain quotas in vpopmail might not be working properly in
>>> 5.4.0.
>>>   I don't use quotas myself, and haven't had time to try to figure out
>>> the problem.
>>
>> I don't think domain quotas (as I perhaps misunderstand them) are a
>> really
>> good idea; it seems like it would just lead to confusion all around for
>> the users and for support departments.  What happens right now in the
>> -stable releases if domain quotas are enabled anyhow?
>
> It's a good idea in that an ISP can limit a domain to a certain amount
> of usage, and leave it up to the customer to use it as they see fit.
>
> Your idea of a quota for the domain that the sum of all user quotas
> can't exceed is another workable solution.  I'm not sure which makes
> more sense, and if we decide to support both then there will need to be
> a clear way to choose between the two (and understand what will
> happen).

I have a patch I'll post up that allows this once I remember my
SourceForge information. ;)

It does exactly as you suggest -- ensures the sum of all user quotas can't
exceed the domain's set quota.

I also have it adding the text "[Used Quota: XX/YYY (MB)]" to the
showusers list.

The only catch is that this "enforced group quota" scenario shouldn't
allow a NOQUOTA setting. Perhaps a configure option and #ifdefs would be
the best option.

--
rob