First, please try ~vpopmail/bin/vmoddomainlimits -v | less to see what appears to be supported within vpopmail already. There are quite a few things that appear to be stored in the domain limits file that QmailAdmin does not use. (yet) I don't have them all figured out yet, but I do know I can set them with vmoddomailnimits and view them from vget_limits() in QmailAdmin. It would be good to use them as they are.

Charles Sprickman wrote:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Tom Collins wrote:

>  <.snip.>

Just as a discussion point, does anyone else see that as a
tech-support/customer-service nightmare?

I can see that... on the other hand I can also see giving user quotas that total largest than the domain limit so they can occasionally receive a large message. That may be because I am a POP user that always deletes mail from the server. An IMAP user base keeping everything on the server would be a different story.

One possibility might be to warn everyone in the entire domain when it hits 90% full. Maybe send the postmaster a message showing the usage of all users when it hits 80%, so everyone doesn't have to be bothered. There also needs to be a place to check usage within QmailAdmin so the postmaster and admins can watch usage.

It's a good idea in that an ISP can limit a domain to a certain amount
of usage, and leave it up to the customer to use it as they see fit.

Personally most of my domains would have a domain limit with all the users unlimited. I get all the mail at three of my domains, and don't share them with anyone else. I tend go use different addresses for different people, so I know who is giving out my address. There are quite a few incoming addresses that get sent to /dev/null so I don't have to see the spam. But then I know I am unusual...

That's why I was thinking it would be good to have a domain quota-like
setting that qmailadmin understands, but that does not apply to the
delivery agent.

Keeping my above explanation in mind, assume that it worked as follows:

-user signs up for a "domain account" that includes 20 accounts and a
total "quota" of 200MB.

-user logs into qmailadmin to setup the accounts.  A total is shown at the
top of the user-creation page that shows how much of that 200MB is left to
be "given" to each user.

-user sets up [EMAIL PROTECTED] with 10MB quota

-user goes to user-creation page and the total shown at the top says
"190MB left"

-user creates [EMAIL PROTECTED], and since she handles sales and customer
inquiries, he gives jane a 50MB quota

-rinse and repeat until all users are created.  If there's quota left
over, user can assign the extra space to any existing users or keep it
around for future use

Does that sound like a good idea?

It sounds like a lot of work... and you are making a human have to do it. How about making

"Default User Quota" = "Domain Quota" / "Max Pop Accounts"

Your idea of a quota for the domain that the sum of all user quotas
can't exceed is another workable solution.  I'm not sure which makes
more sense, and if we decide to support both then there will need to be
a clear way to choose between the two (and understand what will
happen).

I would say that "Domain Quota" MUST BE a maximum for the entire domain, that can not be exceeded. The only question is what do we do about individual users. I don't want to be limited to having the sum of all user quotas == the domain quota, but I guess some postmasters might.

I'd love it if we could open a discussion on this either here or on the
devel list.

It has already started here...

I haven't heard anything from current domain quota users.  I'm also a bit
curious about the system quota option (unix user per domain model), but
I'm not really sure if the entire vpopmail suite understands system
quotas, or if it really would solve any of the above problems.

Personally I think we should promote the "entire mail system works under the vpopmail user" model as the best way to setup a server. I'd rather not have to have SUID root programs in my mail system. The entire quota system should be done from within vpopmail/qmailadmin.

Rick

p.s. I should have a PHP mockup of QmailAdmin 1.3.0 up within a couple of days, along with an updated vpopmail extension for PHP that includes all the features in the latest vpopmail.