The entire wheelchairs/repairs/parts procedure is so antiquated. I purchased my
own chair because I had no insurance and I was not eligible for Medicare until
I turned 65. So I come into the Medicare System with my own chair. I now need
batteries, tires, and am surprised to find out that Medicare will not supply
anything for my chair because they did not buy the chair for me.

I ran through their entire obstacle course with switch back turns, hoops to
jump through, and even past their local fire breathing dragon J. Only to be
told by the very top supervisor-her own words-that the best bet for me would be
to order a new chair. I explained to her that these were not a dime a dozen
wheelchair, with tilt and recline and all the other bills and whistles we were
looking at $20,000 plus. She said that is OK, we can then maintain it for you!

What is wrong with this system?

I really have a problem with going ahead and buying a new wheelchair when I
have the chair of my dreams and for the first time I feel safe when I am out
and about by myself. I can get around most of the obstacles that I encounter,
do not have to look for curb cuts, drive sideways on our hillside without
feeling that the chair is ready to run downhill, etc etc and so forth.

Have any others of you run into this problem? Is there another answer?

Joan in sunny Reno Nevada

Checked by AVG.
PM