CMS is controlling or trying to control against fraud.  In the past  its been
bad.  Bad, to the tune of a billion dollars over the last 5 years  of waste
and CMS is trying to control all of that by developing partitions and
procedures. Wait until competitive bidding kicks in to establish the maximum
allowable price for a wheelchair.  Next it will maximum allowables   for
repairs too.
This amounts to government restraints in business...  affecting the consumer,
all behind your backs.  (you are not suppose to  know this is going on)
And in the next  2-3 years it will become more restrictive and  competitive.
Those working with private insurance and the VA may not face these new road
places and competitive uniformity to restrict costs.

Keep in mind that the DME are not allowed to blame the government either,
just follow the established guidelines or face losing your certification.
Maybe this explains the reason the most DMEs don't stock parts and components
like they once did.  Why stock it, if it won't be approved, like in the  past.

Best Wishes

In a message dated 3/21/2008 4:36:01 P.M. Central Daylight Time,