Joan, you are one tough cookie. I am a c-5 and I don't think I have anything
near  your gumption and zest. Hang tough and God bless. Willis

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:04:32 -0500To: quad-l...@eskimo.comfrom:
d...@unh.edusubject: RE: [QUAD-L] ExerciseWay to go Joan!DanAt 11:33 PM
12/21/2008, Joan Anglin said something that elicited my response:
Lucinda I am a C4 complete. October 1990, fell off scaffolding in my barn.
Shoulder shrug is it. I have had to have three tracheotomies, but fortunately
for me I was able to get off of each trach within a couple of weeks.I have an
omega trac wheelchair, very powerful even if it is not very fast, and have not
tipped myself over since I bought it. It has given me a very confident and safe
lifestyle, especially now that I have a German shepherd puppy-now eight months
who is already helping me out. She can open most doors, is very calm in stores,
loves children and will sit to shake hands with them without command, and of
course she is a great conversation opening.I have always been an independent
person, and really enjoy getting out by myself. With my cell phone, Elfie my
German shepherd, and my omega trac Im good to go. We have joined a German
shepherd Schaeferhunde Gruppe (in a former life I trained German shepherds in
Germany, and I am very much looking forward to taking Elfie through her SchH1
degree in a couple of years. However, I will be the first one to admit that it
is a whole bunch more difficult training a dog when you cannot use your arms.
She has had to learn to step up on my wheelchair to get a treat from my mouth.
I am now working with the silent whistle as my whistle left me when I broke my
neck. JSorry to go on. I am just very excited about all the things that seem to
be happening in my life. I’ll be 70 next April, and we are trying very hard to
get me certified to go scuba diving in Honduras. Everyone around me scuba
dives, and now I figure it’s my turn. Have a great day. Joan From: LTeasley [
mailto:ljtbe...@yahoo.com] Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:12 PMTo:
quad-l...@eskimo.comsubject: RE: [QUAD-L] Exercise Joan,what level is your
injury? using a chin control suggests pretty high, but with your prior talk of
going around the property, i thought somewhat low. regardless, it sounds
courageous.lucindac45 complete?july 31, '05mpls., mn--- On Sun, 12/21/08, Joan
Anglin <poaj...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:From: Joan Anglin
<poaj...@sbcglobal.net>Subject: RE: [QUAD-L] ExerciseTo: "'Merrill'"
<merril...@cox.net>, quad-l...@eskimo.comdate: Sunday, December 21, 2008, 12:00
PMOuch, the suspender idea could be very uncomfortable? Of course, my solution
for the quad gut is a bodysuit, which is not uncomfortable for me, but is
difficult for my attendants. I?ve gotten so used to it that I feel
uncomfortable without it. And I agree with Lori, that one of the biggest
problems it is my butt spreading sideways. LOLI still wear a size 10, but I
definitely hang over the 16 inch cushion. Oh well, it could be worse.As far as
exercise, my greatest achievement is successfully blowing the hair out of my
eyes. Seriously, although I cannot do more than a shoulder shrug, I really
bounce myself around just going around the property. So I guess that would
qualify as exercise. I still do shoulder exercises with my arm in a sling
suspended from the ceiling, I?ve never gotten any return, but my neck and
shoulder muscles are still quite strong. I do not use a headrest, since I use a
chin control I did not want to be smacked in the mouth by a chin controller and
on the back of the head by a headrest, and that has helped to keep my neck
muscles strong.Those of you in the northeast states stay warm. It?s been cold
here, but for the most part sunny, with highs in the low twenties. We finally
got snow several days ago, and it is still hanging around, but nothing like the
northeast states-thank goodness.I hope everybody has a great day Joan No virus
found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.comVersion:
8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.19/1860 - Release Date: 12/21/2008 3:08 PM