On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 9:12:26 PM UTC-4, Outback Dingo wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 9:00 PM,  <drew....@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm still having a few issues with the freezing of the system, and
> requiring
> > some information regarding Windows Tools.
> > I'm getting nowhere in the user area, so I'm here to find out the
> answers to
> > these questions as no dev has answered this on there and all I get is
> > attacked by people that think I know nothing and am wrong.
> >
> > But anyway...
>
> Yeah good luck with that, unfortunatley Qubes support appears to
> royally suck.... Ive been trying to get some answers on why XEN
> passthru is still broken
> after 6+ months, and nothing, no response..... nice idea, badly
> implemented, terrible support......

Outback Dingo:

I am going to repeat a suggestion I made back when I tried helping you out,
as it seems like you never tried it and it is a fairly inexpensive, simple,
and effective solution.

Get rid of the Realtek network adapter.  With the exception of the
venerable RTL8139, I have found their ethernet adapters to be a consistent
pain under Linux; you often need firmware blobs, etc.  I imagine their wifi
adapters are even worse.  Not every piece of hardware is going to work
under open source.  Years ago you had to be careful to pick and choose
hardware components with Linux compatibility in mind, and sometimes you
still have to.

My experience is that it is pretty easy to open up a laptop/notebook with a
#0 Philips head screwdriver (or a pentalobe driver for a Mac) and swap out
a MiniPCIE wifi or wifi/bluetooth adapter.  It's usually right next to the
RAM (not that there is much room for it to go anywhere else).  You can get
a compatible replacement wifi adapter for about $25 on eBay.  Get an
adapter that is not bleeding edge - Broadcom and Atheros (and maybe Intel)
chipsets seem to consistently work well - there are plenty of compatibility
reports out there to work with.  Some laptops (for example, some Lenovo
machnes) present BIOS whitelisting difficulties (although there is often a
replacement BIOS to handle that), but in general it is really simple.

If you are unwilling to do this, then I suppose you are just being
stubborn.  Although being stubborn can be OK - open source has benefited
from lots of stubborn people who constructively direct that stubbornness
into dogged effort at investigating and solving such problems - it's not so
great when it instead results in complaining, trashing people, and
demanding others do that effort instead.  If you really want to insist on
that particular wifi adapter working under Qubes, maybe it will be more
productive to direct your grief at the party that's actually responsible -
Realtek - since other companies' wifi adapters end up doing PCI passthrough
OK, but apparently not theirs.

Eric
(who thinks your issue got a good bit more than "nothing, no response")