On 10/30/2016 12:12 AM, Eric Shelton wrote:

Outback Dingo:

I am going to repeat a suggestion I made back when I tried helping you out, as it seems like you never tried it and it is a fairly inexpensive, simple, and effective solution.

Get rid of the Realtek network adapter.

I agree. Realtek is second-tier and can be a real pain even on Windows, depending on the product and version.

Receiving a stamp of "Windows compatible" doesn't make a piece of hardware a good example of being "PC compatible" and playing well with other OSes. PC compatible doesn't really exist, so it is better to focus on brands that are 1) known for quality and 2) have good relations/popularity with the FOSS community.

@Drew,

Are you still using the Dell T5500? I noticed that Dell certifies it (only) for RHEL, which is a server OS. Ubuntu certified a number of Dell T-series workstations according to their HCL, but they skipped over the T5500 for some reason?

https://certification.ubuntu.com/desktop/models/?query=precision&category=Desktop&category=Laptop&level=Any&vendors=Dell

One thing you should consider is running with Intel or AMD graphics. Nvidia have a bad compatibility record and I wonder if that is the main factor in your screensaver lockups.

As for systemd, its not as big or complex as you seem to think. And it makes Linux run /much/ better on PCs. I can imagine a future where a dom0 Linux has many fewer systemd modules, but not going back to init.

Chris