On 12/20/2016 06:57 PM, Mike Mez wrote:
This is/immensely/ helpful. To reiterate... to make sure I understand, with "windows problems" easy is easy and impossible is basically impossible (which I can say with experience is fairly on the money of my experience as well). With Linux, the difficultly curve of problems are kind of inverted when compared to windows. The easy problems are now stubborn, while the really hard programs are now possibly easier courtesy of established documentation. While such might not be true for all cases, of course, generally this is the jest of what to expect, yes?

I would say on Linux/FOSS the easy problems are less stubborn than they are "easy to find solutions but require steps that are more annoying or tedious". But there will be times when you will think "that was much smoother than Windows", no doubt.

Furthermore, unlike windows, the GUI in Linux is less of an operator then it is in windows. The way to go about things in Linux is the command line interface, which may make problem solving initially a bit more... problematic for those who only know how to move around in a GUI. So I being a windows user might what to look up on that.

Qubes seems to use GUI examples where possible. It has a stronger notion of a "default GUI" than most Linux "distros" do. Linux distros have a strong tendency toward showing solutions in the CLI because they assume GUIs will vary a lot depending on what the user has chosen.

You also mention "just because PC... doesn't mean it will work", which I am already aware of, but thank you all the same. I'll make sure to look up the Qubes HCL link.

Finally, I don't have the available cash to buy multiple variants of particular models or brands of GPUs nor am I able per say to experiment with other models in a process of trial and error, through I would certainly like to give it a shot if I could. Fortunately, what I do have is knowledge of places to purchase parts which have a stellar return policies. So, that may be an option. Honestly the only people I know of that have that kind of capital are the ones that do it for a living on YouTube like LinusTechTips, Bitwit, and Pauls Hardware. Oh so much to do... so little to do it all. :/

I see people now and then on the list who fight with incompatible hardware, and keep putting themselves through misery because they think its either Qubes' problem or due to something they just missed somehow. They assume wrongly that hardware is some kind of smooth, blank slate and don't realize that adding Xen to the equation in the particular way Qubes does takes the somewhat constrained compatibility of Linux and narrows it down much further. Systems that work best use middle- and high-end Intel and AMD chips for most functions, like Wifi and graphics and audio, and have fewer BIOS bugs; These tend to come from the business lines of Lenovo, Dell, and HP.

Chris