Hello everyone,

I would like to be able to do a little gaming on my regular computer
from time to time, for sanity reasons. I use Qubes OS on a dual GPU
notebook. I don't want to compromise security with unsafe code in DOM0
nor dual booting. My budget towards this is up to 2000 USD.

Options I can think of (ordered by preference):

- - put 2000 USD to a bounty for programming of general (secondary) GPU
passthrough to an app-VM (including consumer nvidia GPUs)

- - replace my computer with an nvidia quadro equipped computer, put
whats left of the 2000 USD towards a bounty to get ATI and nvidia
quadro GPUs (apparently both easier to do than consumer nvidia GPUs)

- - buy an additional computer and stream the gaming via VNC or the like
to a Qubes app-VM

- -buy and use an additional computer

Gaming on Qubes is a niche and unrelated to its real goal. Still, it
would open new possibilities with running different OS' in VMs with
hardware acceleration, from gaming to grafics rendering to video
editing to scientifical calculations. It would be a big step towards
one-system-fits-all for the security conscious.
If some universally useable code came from this, it would make
migration from windows to "regular" linux distros much easier for a
lot of people who still need some gpu-dependent windows function.

I understand that 2000 USD is probably too little for a project of
such magnitude. Maybe it's a start of a bounty that becomes big enough
for this.

What do you people think? Or am I overlooking other options?
Kernel 4.10 adds "virtual GPU support" [1], will that make things
easier?

Cheers,

Stickstoff

[1]
http://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-kernel-4-10-officially-released-wit
h-virtual-gpu-support-many-features-513077.shtml