W dniu piątek, 21 kwietnia 2017 21:55:07 UTC+2 użytkownik Stickstoff napisał:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to be able to do a little gaming on my regular computer
> from time to time, for sanity reasons. I use Qubes OS on a dual GPU
> notebook. I don't want to compromise security with unsafe code in DOM0
> nor dual booting. My budget towards this is up to 2000 USD.
>
> Options I can think of (ordered by preference):
>
> - - put 2000 USD to a bounty for programming of general (secondary) GPU
> passthrough to an app-VM (including consumer nvidia GPUs)
>
> - - replace my computer with an nvidia quadro equipped computer, put
> whats left of the 2000 USD towards a bounty to get ATI and nvidia
> quadro GPUs (apparently both easier to do than consumer nvidia GPUs)
>
> - - buy an additional computer and stream the gaming via VNC or the like
> to a Qubes app-VM
>
> - -buy and use an additional computer
>

> Gaming on Qubes is a niche and unrelated to its real goal. Still, it
> would open new possibilities with running different OS' in VMs with
> hardware acceleration, from gaming to grafics rendering to video
> editing to scientifical calculations. It would be a big step towards
> one-system-fits-all for the security conscious.
> If some universally useable code came from this, it would make
> migration from windows to "regular" linux distros much easier for a
> lot of people who still need some gpu-dependent windows function.
>
> I understand that 2000 USD is probably too little for a project of
> such magnitude. Maybe it's a start of a bounty that becomes big enough
> for this.
>
> What do you people think? Or am I overlooking other options?
> Kernel 4.10 adds "virtual GPU support" [1], will that make things
> easier?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stickstoff
>

> [1]
> http://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-kernel-4-10-officially-released-wit
> h-virtual-gpu-support-many-features-513077.shtml

IIRC secondary GPU passthrough won't work on laptops because the discrete GPU
is a render device and not a full display device (it's not directly connected
to the laptop display or the video outs, instead it's framebuffer is copied to
the framebuffer of the integrated GPU that handles the actualy physical
displays) Copying the framebuffer between VMs with minimal latency sounds
challenging. Although I remember one guy on this group that successfully passed
through an AMD GPU to a Windows VM and was able to play games in the VM. This
was a desktop PC though.