On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 12:07:56 AM UTC-8, tai...@gmx.com wrote:
> On 12/08/2017 02:43 AM, Yethal wrote:
>
> > W dniu czwartek, 7 grudnia 2017 21:23:18 UTC+1 u┼╝ytkownik Wael Nasreddine
> > napisał:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm looking to build a new Desktop specifically for Qubes OS, so my most
> >> important requirement is compatibility. I currently have 64GB (4 x 16GB)
> >> 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3400 (PC4 27200)[0] that I'd like to use, and I'm
> >> looking for a recommendation for the motherboard and CPU. Preferably a 6+
> >> cores CPU. What do you guys use?
> >>
> >> I'm aware of the HCL page, but I'm mostly interested in knowing your
> >> personal experience with your current hardware.
> >>
> >> [0]: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232264
> > Zero issues with i7-6800K on an AsRock X99 board. Has PS/2 port, disabling
> > Management Engine is possible via built in flashing tool, all hardware
> > sensors were detected and it supports PCI-E bifurcation alongside SR-IOV.
> > I'm running Mini-itx version which may be unsuitable for your needs as it
> > only takes 32GB of ram but it would be pretty safe to assume that full-size
> > AsRock X99 motherboards would also be fully compatible with Qubes.
> That isn't disabling ME, nor ME cleaner - you can NOT disable ME - it is
> impossible even the HAP tool doesn't do so.

What's the ME and why disable it?

> Your only hope is to buy hardware without it such as the new enough to
> be useful Socket G34 and C32 AMD PRE-PSP Systems, boards KGPE-D16 and
> KCMA-D8 have libre firmware available and can play video games in a VM
> via IOMMU-GFX, they also have dual onboard separate USB controllers (you
> can use the second via a breakout bracket)

So I looked at both of these boards[0], they take a DDR3 board, but I found
this one[1] that takes DDR4, does it still have opensource firmware?

[0]:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?CompareItemList=%2D1%7C13%2D131%2D670%5E13%2D131%2D670%2C13%2D131%2D643%5E13%2D131%2D643
[1]: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132257