On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 7:02 PM taii...@gmx.com <taii...@gmx.com> wrote:

> On 12/27/2017 04:50 PM, Marco Silva wrote:
>
> > Pretty much any server hardware will work fine, personally I'm running a
> Tyan S7050 motherboard with a couple of E5-2667 V2 CPU's and 64gb of
> samsung ddr 3 ecc ram a couple of ssd's in (fake) raid 0 and 2 AMD gpu's.
> Unless you're pretty paranoid I wouldn't go with really old and slow
> hardware. If you have a decent amount of ddr4 I would look for an AMD Ryzen.
> >

> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-PSP-Disable-Option
> >
> ME/PSP can't be disabled peroid - that article is inaccurate and the
> "disable" option simply shuts off part of the OS visibility of PSP (the
> PCI device)
> ME cleaner only nerfs ME, the companies like dell, system76 and the
> purism scammers are lying to make more money - ask anyone with serious
> firmware engineering skills it CANT be disabled bottom line.
>
> The Opteron 6386 is faster than your E5-2667 and it lacks the ME/PSP
> virus - it can also play new games at high settings in a VM via IOMMU-GFX.
>
> https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2667+%40+2.90GHz
> https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Opteron+6386+SE
>
> If you weren't "pretty paranoid" aka security conscious you wouldn't be
> using qubes would you?
>
> The CIA created the term "paranoid" so that people could say "oh don't
> be a paranoid weirdo" - which was silly as there were so very many
> soviet spies back then so people should have been more paranoid.
>
> On 12/27/2017 04:29 PM, Wael M. Nasreddine wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 8:48 AM taii...@gmx.com <taii...@gmx.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I would buy the RAM and CPU off of ebay, there is no reason to pay
> >> $80/ea for that ram or $172 for a 6380 ($100 on ebay) you could get a
> >> 6386SE for that price. (needs 140W cooler FYI) No reason to get the
> >> "protection plan" for anything either its a waste of money.
> >>
> >> The cheapest I found the 6380 on ebay is 129.95
> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/372177489204 I found cheaper but with higher
> > shipping fee. I wasn't ablet to find a good/cheap 1600 DDR3 sticks. I did
> > find a cheaper board https://www.ebay.com/itm/132447255551 I'll buy the
> > board for now and continue looking for the rest. Your help would be
> > appreciated, are you anywhere on irc?
> Don't buy a used board dude get a new one.
> All RAM is the pretty much the same FYI there are only so many OEM's the
> only difference is branding no more "good ram" or "bad cheap ram" these
> days, and when it comes to server RAM ECC will let you know of any
> issues before they cause trouble.

Thx for the tip, yea might not worth the $70 to buy used, I'll keep an eye
out for RAM/CPU on eBay. BTW on the manual of the board, it says that I can
go with <4 or >4 RAM sticks but from what you said so far, it sounded like
I need to fill all the slots, is that necessary? I'm intending to get 8Gb a
stick to fill 64Gb. I don't think I need more than that.

> I am not on IRC but as always you can email me personally for libre
> hardware buying advice.

Awesome, thx for the tip.

> Hey I am curious are you from the middle east?
>
> Yes, I'm originally from Lebanon, but I left a decade and half ago. I live
now in the US.

On 12/27/2017 02:49 PM, Wael M. Nasreddine wrote:

> > I have a 1U server and it's pretty loud, unusable as a Desktop machine,
> are
> > the 4U also loud? Any suggetions on a specific case?
> >
> 4U always is recommended as you can use larger fans, with decent fans
> and running fancontrol or the OpenBMC firmware on the KCMA-D8 and
> KGPE-D16 they are almost silent and one can watch a film without complaint.

Thx for the tip, I'll opt for OpenBMC in that case.