On Tuesday, 6 February 2018 11:32:07 CET 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
> I'm not getting past the first step of:
>
> Verify you are cutting through the sys-net VM firewall by looking at its
> counters (column 2)

Yes, that sounds familiar.

The problem isn't limited to sys-net either, using netcat to listen on any
port on any (fedora based) appvm I could not get anything to connect to
those ports.
So, for instance, starting netcat on sys-firewall I could not connect to it
from sys-net.
Similarly, listening on a random VM and connecting to it from sys-firewall
failed too.
And I tried a lot of ways to convince the iptables to accept it...

I mostly used archlinux templates for appvms, which do not have the qubes
networking packages and thus the iptables list is empty. [1]
Listening there and connecting from it worked fine.

Hope that helps.

----
1) Personally I would say that simpler is better, or least surprises is
better. The current design where any appvm gets those complex firewall rules
is a bug. Only VMs that expose their network (providing) should run it.
--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io