On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 06:11:09AM -0800, Jérôme Martin wrote:
> I'm also occasionally writing posts about Racket on my blog. Only one is
> public for now, and is a multi-parts tutorial about writing DSLs in Racket.
>
> I'm trying to summarize and reformulate some of the things I learned by
> making small languages in Racket. If you already read Beautiful Racket, I
> guess there's nothing new to learn, because I'm mostly targeting developers
> not aware of lisp languages.
>
> You can find the first part here:
> http://rilouw.eu/article/the-programming-language-of-your-dreams-part-1
> Feel free to contact me if you want to share some advice and feedback!

Definitely not ready yet.  You've written a start to an exposition on
how write a #lang module,  and actually showed how to do it in an
incremental way, testing and checking what you do while you do it.  An
exposition I'd very much like to read the rest of.  I too have racket
tweaks I'd like to implement.

(1) You start out with an imaginary UI language (which hapens to look
like XML; I noticed that!) and you seem to indicate that you're going
to show how Racket can choke that down.

(2) But all you do is show how you can, via your (incomplete)
ui-lang.rkt module, get Racket to behave like Racket.  This isn't
likely to impress.

Since I already know about Racket and appreciate it, I can appreciate
what you've accomplished, and how this is a reasonable base for further
development.  But the non-Racket-initiate isn't going to get that.  And
he's likely not to get around to episode #2 of your exposition.

(3) In the end, you present a different language from the one at the
beginning -- something that's not XML. It might have been better not
even to mention the XML version at the start, but instead mention the
one you are actually going to implement.  XML, for the reader you are
targetting, is old-hat anyway.

I'm not at all sure how to rewrite this in a style that is likely to
grab and maintain the interest of the reader you are aiming for.

Writing is *hard*.

Maybe you need to use the textual freedom the web gives you and, early
on, have links to the actual implementation details.  Or mention the
translation of this special-purpose language is.  Or how it's executed.
Or what the menus look like (a screen-shot, maybe?)

Anywaay, I'd like to see the rest of what you're doing.  Perhaps just
email me the actual implementation code so I can look it over before
you rewrite your short series of article.

I'll be happy to provide prepublication critique of what you write --
what works for me, what doesn't work, and what I do and don't think
will work for the intended audience.

-- hendrik