Very nice, Mohit. If everyone can approve of this as starting outline
for Radiant documentation, I suggest you put into a page in the wiki.
Then we can add our names to the sections we would to like write, and
add further sections we think is needed.
On 13/06/2008, at 20:18, Mohit Sindhwani wrote:
Jim Gay wrote:
So, here's what I'm going to try to do. I made a list of topics
that I would like to see as part of the documentation, roughly
organized by topic. When I get back home from work tonight, I'll
try to type that in and email it out just to share my ideas with
you. I know that there will be many things that could be debated
in that list but it may serve as a reference (even if it is
That would be awesome. It'll at least help me write the docs for
radiant-help to see how others want it organized.
Sorry for the delay in pushing this out. This is roughly the first
draft of the plan that I had. This is not split up into the
sections that I had mentioned. I think some of these can be mixed
and matched into the different sections. In general, this targets a
person who is starting with Radiant but is actually a developer.
I'm sure there's plenty more that can/ should go in, but I'm just
passing this as a starting point.
6/14/2008 | 2:17 AM.
=== RADIANT DOCUMENTATION ===
1. Installation & First Steps
* Downloading & Installing Radiant - gem, svn, git, edge
* Getting Started I - "Hello world" with Radiant
* Planning your site (what are layouts, snippets, pages, page parts)
* Getting Started II
- Improved Stylesheets
- Using Layouts & Snippets
- Filters & Using Textile
- Why are there no themes for Radiant?
- Using the 'Hemingway' Radiant them?
- Who does themes? (Radiant pros)
* Introduction to the Admin UI and Users
* Installing your first extension (PageAttachments?)
* Improved Stylesheet/ Script management (SnS)
* Deploying your first site (general tips with guidance to specific
2. Common Tasks & Extensions
* Migrating from other sites - Wordpress, Mephisto, etc.
* Understanding tags & Radius
* Getting Started III - Meta tags & Date of publishing
* PageAttachments - Installations, providing downloads and linking
to images/ thumbnails
* Beyond HTML - providing a simple RSS feed for your site
* Customizations - Time zone
* Gallery - Image galleries
* WYSIWIG Editors - WymEditor, FckEditor
* Import/ Export
* Using Radiant as a blog
* Search Extension
3. Writing your Own Extension
* Creating an extension I - Adding tags (and some useful tags)
* Creating an extension II - Adding a tab in Admin UI (and what is
* Creating an extension III - Modifying the Page UI from an extension
4. Additional Configurations & Advanced Admin
* Previewing Radiant Pages (developer viewing)
* Multi-site Extension (why and how)
* Customizations II - Admin title, etc.
* Skinning the Admin UI
* Installing to a sub-domain
* Installing to a sub-directory
* Dealing with Caching
5. Commonly Used Extensions
* Copy and Move
* Featured Pages
* Syntax Highlighter
* Calendar/ Events
* RSS Aggregator
* Multiple RSS feeds from the content
* Scheduler Extension
6. Advanced Topics (few solutions yet)
* Versioning the content
* Tagging & Rating Content
* Multiple Languages
* Migrating from SQLite to MySQL/ other database
* Staging Extension (and ideas on how to do it)
* Protecting the data
* Setting up user access/ passwords
* Integrating with Rails
* Providing end-user help (radiant_help)
Radiant mailing list
Radiant mailing list