Hi Peter,

> What do folks consider a "high-volume" site?  If I'm looking to
> handle 3 - 5
> million page views monthly, which I can do with a few production Rails
> servers and a non-trivial production architecture (memcache, n-tier
> architecture, etc.), do folks think Radiant will be up to the task?

We're using Radiant on a number of mid- to high-traffic sites. I don't
have current numbers in front of me, but at last count our two largest
clients had half a million unique visitors so let's assume a
significant number of pageviews.

All of our apps to date are given one dedicated app server and when
called for, a separate DB server (one is backed by an Oracle cluster.)
The built-in caching mechanism is adequate for all but the largest of
those. Horizontal scaling has been achievable so far without much
forethought at the application level.

> Have you
> used other CMS?s?  Where did they fall short, or where did they have
> features that you miss?

We've used the whole gamut. End users like Radiant because, as they
tell us, the admin UI is more user-friendly and the core concepts more
grokkable than the alternatives. From a developer perspective, Radiant
is great because the core is built to be extensible. There's almost an
a la carte approach to building out a CMS in Radiant, and when someone
asks for a feature that doesn't exist yet, integration doesn't require
armed combat with the framework.

To be fair, some of the other platforms out there may be a better fit
for portal or community sites. We've done a few Radiant sites that
integrate the notion of user accounts, and in every case we've had to
make concessions that affect performance. Just a fair warning, if
that's your scenario.

Hope this is helpful. If you want to talk specifics, feel free to
email me.

Josh