On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Jeff Casimir <j...@casimircreative.com> wrote:
> I'd like to see radiant follow some of the footsteps from merb and
> have two gems: radiant-core and radiant-more.  The 'radiant' gem would
> become alias to radiant-more which would be core plus a few of the
> most common extensions (SnS, some kind of attachments, chronicle?,
> etc).  Now that extensions can be gemified, I think this shouldn't be
> that hard.
>
> And if someone really wants a stripped down version they can just
> install radiant-core, barebones but fully functional.

Yeah, definitely. This has been talked about and requested by many.

And recently there's been a lot of activity in creating extensions
that manage Layouts from the file system. So I've been thinking about
what I see as the true core of Radiant and that is: Pages.

Snippet and layout mechanisms can be swapped out according to whatever
you like. And you might even have the need for a different type of
User system.

So to me, radiant-core would be the ability to manage pages, and the
extendable UI. Loading of extensions I see as something that ought to
be generic and is going to move into Rails Engines. Stripping it down
to those features means it would be easier to integrate them into
existing rails projects rather than having to turn a rails project
into an extension.

I'm sure there are things I haven't considered, but that's why I've
been working out the ideas on separating the features in
http://github.com/radiant/radiant/issues#issue/23 : so I have real
experience on which I can base the decision-making.

To me, radiant-more would be the part that adds snippets, layouts,
users, image/file management, stylesheet/javascript management, and
perhaps other things.

Other people might not see it that way, but by far one of the most
popular questions I get about Radiant has to do with adding it to an
rails app, rather than shoe-horning a rails app into it. The biggest
sticking point is the User system.

But you're right, with extensions as gems, this is much easier and no
matter what decision is made about what goes into radiant-more, it
will be very easy to make radiant-less, radiant-awesome,
radiant-whatever and write your own custom gem.

--
Jim Gay
Saturn Flyer LLC