Hi Arnie,

Arnie Roberts wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to have a set of default reply items for most of my
> users (provided they authenticate OK) and a few exceptions
> who get reply items specific to them.
>
> What differentiates the default users from the 'specials' is their
> usernames and passwords and nothing else - i.e. they all authenticate
> via the same NAS, and it will always supply the same attributes in the
> request (except the username and password).
>
> The example user file says
>
> # DEFAULT users will be checked in the order they appear in this
> # file. They
> # will be checked in order until one is found that matches and
> # which does not contain Fall-Through
>
> and also has entries like this -
>
> DEFAULT Service-Type = Administrative-User, Auth-Type = System
>         Idle-Timeout = 2000,
>
> But what is a DEFAULT user?

A DEFAULT user is a user without an special Username entry

> Is the Service-Type attribute here a request item which is checked?

Yes, of course, all items in the first line of a entry are check-items,
all following lines are reply items.

Do this in the following way:

special-one Password = mysecret-one
        special-one-reply-item-1 = 1,
        special-one-reply-item-2 = 2,
        special-one-reply-item-3 = 3,
        special-one-reply-item-4 = 4

special-two Password = mysecret-two
        special-two-reply-item-1 = 1,
        special-two-reply-item-2 = 2,
        special-two-reply-item-3 = 3

DEFAULT Auth-Type = System
        default-reply-item-1 =1,
        default-reply-item-2 =2,
        default-reply-item-3 =3,
        default-reply-item-4 =4,
        default-reply-item-5 =5

This means, User with names special-one and special-two
get differently handled as all other users. And because
you have perhaps a lot of other users, you will not list
all usernames and passwords in the users-file, you use
the System passwd files. That's the trick with the DEFAULT

regards
        Charly