Tambah ciek lai :

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2017/05/economist-explains-11

👆excerpts

_The Economist explains_

*What is China’s belt and road initiative?*

_The many motivations behind Xi Jinping’s key foreign policy_

May 15th 2017

by J.P. | BEIJING

*OVER the weekend Xi Jinping welcomed 28 heads of state and government to
Beijing for a coming-out party, which continues today, to celebrate the
“belt and road” initiative, his most ambitious foreign policy.* Launched in
2013 as *“one belt, one road”,* it involves China underwriting billions of
dollars of infrastructure investment in countries along the old Silk Road
linking it with Europe.
*The ambition is immense. China is spending roughly $150bn a year in the 68
countries that have signed up to the scheme.* The summit meeting (called a
forum) has attracted the largest number of foreign dignitaries to Beijing
since the Olympic Games in 2008. Yet few European leaders are showing up.
For the most part they have ignored the implications of China’s initiative.
*What are those implications and is the West right to be sanguine?*

The project is the clearest expression so far of *Mr Xi’s determination to
break with Deng Xiaoping’s dictum to “hide our capabilities and bide our
time; never try to take the lead”*.
*The Belt and Road Forum (with its unfortunate acronym, BARF) is the second
set-piece event this year at which Mr Xi will lay out China’s claim to
global leadership.*
*(The first was a speech against protectionism made at the World Economic
Forum in Davos in January)*.
In 2014, Wang Yi, the foreign minister, said the initiative was Mr Xi’s
most important foreign policy. *Its ultimate aim is to make Eurasia
(dominated by China) an economic and trading area to rival the
transatlantic one (dominated by America).*

.