On 02/27/2015 01:14 AM, 'hangtownmatt' via RBW Owners Bunch wrote:
"When your bike weighs 90 pounds, a 2nd top tube may actually be doing you some good!"

I cannot agree and feel compelled to reply because I think others could be misled. I'm no heavyweight (170 lbs.) and commute on a 2-TT 60cm Hillborne. Granted I carry a commuters load in the rear but nothing close to a 90 lbs. bike. When I stand to climb hills, which I do every day, I'll get a "bit" of chain rub on the front derailleur even when the adjustment is finely tuned; friction shifting of course. I'm no expert, but I believe this would be caused by frame flex. AND THAT"s with a 2nd top tube. I'd hate to think what this particular frame would be like .... without. So the ride is not as stiff as some might believe.

Matt, I think you are wrong. I weigh 50 lb more than you, and when I climb out of the saddle with my George Longstaff (standard diam 7/5/7 with 8/5/8 downtube, and so vastly more flexible than your Hillborne) I have no front derailleur chain rub. In fact, I have never had front derailleur chain rub from riding out of the saddle. If there's a problem there, I'm quite sure it isn't frame flex that's the cause.

As for the frame's stiffness, I'm quite confident that it is at least as stiff as a 60 cm Rambouillet or a 60 cm Saluki, both of which I formerly owned and sold because I felt they were too stiff for me.