Hey Roberta,

As you wrote "It's a trade off between utility and weight, I know." you've
clearly got a good handle on this thing.
Years ago (when they stocked toe clips) I went by RBW to pick between
regular and long soma dual gate toe clips. As I was eyeing the two
alternatives the guy commented that they were "not light". I opined that if
I was gonna worry about weight I'd start by trying not to stuff so much
into my country bag (this was back in the baggins bags days). That drew a
large grin and talk morphed into what a great bag that was (and still is
for that matter).

BTW the banana bag is really nice. I've got one on the front of my least
"go fast" ish drop bar bike, and I'm really liking that set up.

I'm confident you'll have a fine time finding the perfect weight/utility
balance for you. It's always a personal optimum. Don't let anyone else tell
you you are wrong.
Next up, the search for just the perfect gearing/drive train (yet another
rabbit hole).