I received a catalog from them at a Seattle bike show......heck it could
have been Grant who handed it too me. I had been riding a recumbent until
then but had a Bianchi race bike back in the 80's and a Nishiki 'touring'
bike that I had Davidson cycles modify and paint. My wife and I also owned
two of the first lugged Stumpjumpers purchased from Greenlake cycles in
Seattle....so to make a long story short, I appreciated the lugged steel
frame idea and the practical side of riding as I had been a bicycling
commuter when it wasn't that popular to be one. In fact my first road
bicycle was a Volkscycle brand that (I think a 25 inch frame but too big
for me) I rode the beans out of it to high school in the 70's and a 20 mile
round trip no less. I've always worked on my own bicycles and wanted
something I understood and didn't like the new indexed shifting. As a guy
in my 40's I had a beer gut and wanted to ride something comfortable and
flexible. The narrow tires just didn't seem right for my then 280+ pounds.
I purchased several old bikes and Rivized them and a Surly Trucker as I
slowly worked my way to my first Rivendell which turned out to be a
SimpleOne then later a Sam Hillborne. As of late I have a strong desire to
downsize and simplify and have only one bicycle and I may sell every
bicycle I own and buy either a Hunk or an Atlantis in my size with a
generator lighting system and top components. That's probably what I will
do....... soon.