In my adult years, I've always ridden steel 700c bikes, and although I
looked at Rivendell for a while, I didn't want to plunge into 650b
bikes, which are the right size for my PBH.  After a crash caused by
cracked roads led to the death of a fellow local rider, I decided to
ride road bikes with a minimum of 32mm tires.

That decision led to my purchase of a used Rambouillet, which I set up
with 32mm Paselas. I loved that ride and took the plunge on a new AHH
650b with 38mm Pari Moto tires. I love that bike, and am in the
process of converting all my 700c bikes to 650b (other than the Ram).
My Surly Pacer did great, and next is the old Columbus steel lugged
Bianchi. Someday I hope to complete my 650b stable with a touring
Bombadil when my kids grow up and can ride their own bikes.

Toshi