Great conversation! Now we need to read your story @lungisam!!!

Anyway, my parents bought my an '84 Allez while in HS. Rode it all over
during HS and college. Serious, a lot of miles on that bike, but I did
figure out it was a bit too small for me (a 58cm) and that it didn't quite
fit the bigger tires I was being drawn to. Graduation in '94, what do I
need? A mountain bike! So I stumble across B'stone JUST prior to their
going out of business liquidation sale through Beverly Hills Bicycle (so
what you will about them, they treated me right!). End up w/ an a '94
MB-2<http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/2863214487/>and a '93
MB-6 for my wife (also a Gary Fisher HKEK, but that's an other
story...). Rode those all over, Big Bear, commuting, trails, beach,
whatever. And now I'm hooked. Become a BOB member, but just don't have the
$$$ to pick up a blow-out XO-1. That's the one that got away you know!

Couple years go by, and I am able to get an RB-T. WOW, that was a GREAT
bike! Skinny-tubed rough-stuff bike that goes anywhere. I'm passing
mountain bikers on the trails both way on it. It's official, I'm now an
under-biker!

Y2K and I finish grad-school and am gainfully employed for the first time.
Damn, I need a bike that does it all. I'll probably never be able to do
this again, so better do it right... custom Rivendell it is! A year or so
later, what started out as a 29er ends up as a 700c all-rounder do it all
bike.

Probably should have got an Atlantis which was just starting production
around the same time.

Probably should have got vertical drop outs, but I thought this was the one
bike that would do it all.

Probably should have kept it as a full-on 29er tire, but I had a MB-2 for
that.

So a few compromises I designed into it that I shouldn't have, but still it
ends up as the bike I hope to have as long as I know what bikes are.  And
what better bike to have a
virtual-shine<http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/sets/72157602592825848/>built
for!?!?!?

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM, charlie <cl_v...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I received a catalog from them at a Seattle bike show......heck it could
> have been Grant who handed it too me. I had been riding a recumbent until
> then but had a Bianchi race bike back in the 80's and a Nishiki 'touring'
> bike that I had Davidson cycles modify and paint. My wife and I also owned
> two of the first lugged Stumpjumpers purchased from Greenlake cycles in
> Seattle....so to make a long story short, I appreciated the lugged steel
> frame idea and the practical side of riding as I had been a bicycling
> commuter when it wasn't that popular to be one. In fact my first road
> bicycle was a Volkscycle brand that (I think a 25 inch frame but too big
> for me) I rode the beans out of it to high school in the 70's and a 20 mile
> round trip no less. I've always worked on my own bicycles and wanted
> something I understood and didn't like the new indexed shifting. As a guy
> in my 40's I had a beer gut and wanted to ride something comfortable and
> flexible. The narrow tires just didn't seem right for my then 280+ pounds.
> I purchased several old bikes and Rivized them and a Surly Trucker as I
> slowly worked my way to my first Rivendell which turned out to be a
> SimpleOne then later a Sam Hillborne. As of late I have a strong desire to
> downsize and simplify and have only one bicycle and I may sell every
> bicycle I own and buy either a Hunk or an Atlantis in my size with a
> generator lighting system and top components. That's probably what I will
> do....... soon.
>

> On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:06:10 AM UTC-7, lungimsam wrote:
>
>> So how did you originally find out about them, and why/where/how did you
>> get your first Rivendell bike?
>>
>  --
> For more options, visit this group at

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

**
"The good thing about *science* is that it's *true* whether or not you *
believe* in it." -- *Neil deGrasse Tyson*.