> "cruizzer77" <atlant...@...> wrote:
> Some time ago in another post I already asked for compact 6m
> repeater antenna ideas as we're limited in antenna height in
> the place we want to install our upcoming 6m club repeater.
> Obviously this was no easy to solve problem.

Sure it is...  you just have to keep in mind that many reduced
size antennas have reduced performance when compared to more
standard/full size antennas.

> Just lately did I come across a QST article "Six Meters from
> Your Easy Chair" which describes a 6m squalo antenna built
> from an old easy chair.

Yep, the Author revisited the old "square frame loop" design
seen a few times through the years as variants of other round
horizontal loops.

> I do not have the intention of building one actually from an
> easy chair but this gave me the idea of this type of antenna
> which is quite small and would be just perfect regarding the
> dimensions.

But probably the wrong polarization (horizontal) for FM repeater
work, which would normally be vertical.

> Can anybody tell me something about squalos for repeater usage?

The Squalo is/was a brand name for a square loop horizontally
polarized antenna. Versions were made and sold for various bands
like 10, 11 and 6 meters.  I'm looking at a 27 MHz version Squalo
up on a storage shelf as I type this post.

A more recent commercially sold equivalent is the M-Squared (aka
M-2) 6 meter "ho-loop"

http://www.m2inc.com/index2.html

I doubt the square or round loop horizontal polarized antenna is
what you want or need for your FM Repeater System.

> I think it should be possible to polarize it vertically by
> mounting it turned around 90 degrees, but I have not found
> any info from anybody who did that.

The resultant quasi doughnut pattern would not really be usable
for what you would hope it to be.

> The mounting conditions are on the railing of a tower platform,
> but it would be possible to mount more than one around it, just
> the height is limited.

Tis not what you want...

> Any thoughts?

Yeah, Coffee Mate in Coffee is horrible stuff...

Oh, and you would hopefully find a vertically polarized antenna
to fit your situation.

I'll toss out the following...   A vertical "standard quarter
wave size" 6 meter antenna should or could only be about 54
inches vertical length.

You might review a vertical mobile antenna on a fix mount.

You might consider buying or building a DDRR Antenna:

http://www.antennex.com/preview/2mddrr.htm

http://w9ttw.com/ddrr.htm

I'm using a few DDRR Antennas on Low-Band VHF and they seem to
be modestly decent performers (for what they are).

You can get out hack saw and cut way at adjacent antennas for
more tower mounting space.  (not really)

> 73
> Martin

cheers,
s.