Nicola Ken Barozzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 24/10/2003 05:08:56 PM:

> > I didn't think we needed something to keep a repository automatically
> > to date, and that mirroring would take care of that.
> It's just a naming thing. What Ruper does is to update the local
> repository with the contents of the remote repository, which is exactly
> what we need.

It'd be nice if it was clearer, but cool.

> > and version ensures the jar and the runtime are available. Do we need
> > for a repository?
> Version is mainly for Version resolving (that is if a version is > or <
> than another one) and to check in the classpath and other places for
> jars (not strictly necessary for Maven but very useful for other build
> systems).

Ok, but how is this useful in a repository context?

I'm not talking about Maven here.

> > I'd rather make sure the code is what we need first.
> I agree.
> Well, to be exact, what Maven needs, Maven already has. ;-)

Again, I'm not talking about Maven here.

> This is about something more than that; as long as Maven needs are taken

> into account, I would be fine in adding extra features.

> I have asked the Ruper2 and Version developers to sign up here and chime

> into this discussion as they are much more knowledgeable than me. I just

> want to see this start, they are interested in working on it.
> My objective: make sure that there is an apache-wide repository effort
> maintained by active and dedicated committers, that can benefit both
> Ant, Maven, and Gump. This is why I keep talking about Ruper, not
> because I like the codebase, but because I know that the developers are
> very interested and dedicated to this task, and would be an excellent
> addition to this effort.

So, a quick question. A 'repository effort' is not just about code, it's
mainly about keeping the repository up to date and accessible, and this
(from what I can tell) isn't covered by Ruper or Version, is it?

Other Repository Questions:
1) Should there be metadata or is none required to host, access and manage
the repository?
2) Repository format?
3) Are there lessons to learn from Perl's Package Manager or other similar
tools? If so, what?
4) Is this an ASF only repository?
5) Repository content - is it up to each project to determine it, or is
there some standard / structure
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Pub Key: